Dr. Patrick Burr, after completion of his PhD has moved to the University of New South Wales to become a lecturer in Nuclear engineering. We wish Patrick all the best and wish him luck with his future endeavours. Patrick’s staff page at UNSW is linked here.
Publications (completed during PhD)
- P.A. Burr, M.R. Wenman, B. Gault, M. Ivermark, M.J.D. Rushton, M. Preuss, R.W. Grimes, “From solid solution to cluster formation of Fe and Cr in α-Zr”, in progress.
- P.A. Burr, S.C. Middleburgh and R.W. Grimes, “Ab-initio study on the crystal structure, thermodynamics, magnetics and disorder properties of Be-Fe-Al intermetallics”, submitted to Journal of Alloys and Compounds. arXiv:1407.5013.
- S.C. Middleburgh, I. Karatchevtseva, B.J. Kennedy, P.A. Burr, Z. Zhang, E. Reynolds, R.W. Grimes, G.R. Lumpkin, “Peroxide defect formation in zirconate perovskites”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 2, 15883–15888 (2014). doi:10.1039/C4TA02558J.
- S.C. Lumley, S.T. Murphy, P.A. Burr, R.W. Grimes, P.R. Chard-Tuckey and M.R. Wenman, “The thermodynamics of hydride precipitation: The importance of entropy, enthalpy and disorder”, Acta Materialia 79, 351–362 (2014). doi:10.1016/j.actamat.2014.07.019.
- P.A. Burr, S.T. Murphy, S.C. Lumley, M.R. Wenman and R.W. Grimes, “Hydrogen solubility in zirconium intermetallic second phase particles”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 443, 502–506 (2013). doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2013.07.060.
- S.C. Lumley, S.T. Murphy, P.A. Burr, R.W. Grimes, P.R. Chard-Tuckey and M.R. Wenman, “The stability of alloying additions in zirconium”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 437, 122–129 (2013). doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2013.01.335.
- P.A. Burr, S.T. Murphy, S.C. Lumley, M.R. Wenman, and R.W. Grimes, “Hydrogen accommodation in Zr second phase particles: Implications for H pick-up and hydriding of Zircaloy-2 and Zircaloy-4”, Corrosion Science 69 1–4 (2013). doi:10.1016/j.corsci.2012.11.036.
Non peer-reviewed publications
- M.J.D. Rushton, M.R. Wenman, R. Mella and P.A. Burr, “Providing skilled graduates to the nuclear industry” Nuclear Future 9, 44 (2013).
Prizes and Awards
- Nuclear Institute YGN speaker competition (2014)
- David West Prize (2011)
- Bessemer Medal (2011)
- Armourers and Brasiers/AWE Bursary (2010)